Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Re: st: GOOGLE ANSWERS FORWARDED

I could not agree more--in this case, it seems as though someone is charging for help that they are soliciting from a free source, and http://answers.google.com/answers/ says "Researchers are ready to answer your question for as little as $2.50 -- usually within 24 hours" which I suppose is why "It's pretty urgent."

This is at least as objectionable as students seeking help on graded problem sets.

On 3/22/06, n j cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk> wrote: > What is this? > > I propose three simple principles: > > 1. If someone wants to join Statalist and post to it, they should > feel welcome, and they should read the FAQ to see how we operate. > Nothing new there. > > 2. If someone wants to post something to Statalist on behalf of someone > else, that's OK so long as they explicitly undertake to answer > subsidiary questions and forward the answers. > > 3. Otherwise I see zero point in answering questions like this, as > we have no assurances of an answer being seen, or "someone" or "Martin" > answering any questions it raises. The appeal to urgency is also > objectionable. > > Nick > n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > From: noah_kauffman@prusec.com > Subject: st: GOOGLE ANSWERS FORWARDED > Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:34:11 -0500 > > Someone @ google answers asks: > > > Ok, I'm trying to run a > fixed-effects panel in stata. > My regression: (where var1 is the > depend. variable) > > (PLEASE SEE DATA AT END) - Data > pasted from excel into stata via > editor > Stata commands were as follows: > > "tsset id year" > "gen var1 = ln(x3)" > "gen var2 = ln(var 1[_n-1])" ie. > require ln(x3 i,t-1) > "gen var3 = ln(x2)" > "gen var4 = ln(5 +x1)" > > xtreg var1 var2 var3 var4, i(id), fe > > Now for the coefficient on var2 I > get 0.177, and I'm looking for > something around the 0.5 region. > I've gone wrong somewhere - can > someone please help??? > It's pretty urgent as I need this by > Thursday morning at latest. If it > helps, I'm trying to estiamte the > model on page 1146 for OECD > countries, (but with my own data) in > Islam's paper: "Growth Empirics: > A Panel Data Approach" (1995) > I'm online all the time, so if > necessarty, I can clarify things > beforehand. > > <zap>

* * For searches and help try: * http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


Tag:


Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?